Monday, May 16, 2011

David Sedaris on his Church Background




David SedarisI admit it...I love National Public Radio.  And I've laughed so hard at stories I've heard on there by humorist David Sedaris that I've cried.

And here, just one answer in an interview with Sedaris reminds us of why we should, like Jesus, take kids and their relationship with God seriously.
Q: You were raised in the Greek Orthodox church. How did that upbringing shape you, and how do you feel about God today?
A: I never got the idea of a punishing God, just a really boring one.  To see people growing up in the Carolinas who were Baptist, I knew there were others who felt God was going to send them to hell for any little thing, but not me.  I didn't feel like it, or like it influenced my writing style.
Imagine if this author of books selling over 7 million copies had be introduced to the true vibrant Jesus!

Only the Spirit knows what lies in the future for the young lives you and your church are shaping right now.

1 comment:

  1. See update at http://dbablogs.com/2011/09/29/david-sedaris-on-his-church-background/

    ReplyDelete